Rashid Darden is a prolific novelist with expertise in many areas. He is greatly interested in discussing the relationships between people and between groups of people, such as in fraternal and sororal organizations, or within the context of restorative practices in a school setting. He can speak just as fluently about the history of cultural fraternities and sororities as he can about developing a Language Arts curriculum for a public school.
All entities requesting speaking services may use the contact form at the bottom of the page.
Areas of Expertise:
- Anti-Racism: How white people can hold space and make room for an anti-racist future.
- Fraternal and Sororal Leadership: Gender and racial equity, transgender inclusion, leadership development, chapter program development, hazing prevention, reclamation and re-engagement, parliamentary procedure, and governance.
- Education: English, Language Arts, Social Studies, Humanities content/curriculum development; rapport-building; restorative practices; classroom teacher professional development; service of opportunity youth; young adult education (GED/HiSET) and charter school governance.
- Popular Culture: Intersections of sexual orientation, gender, and race; contemporary black cultural moments and movements.
- Writing, literature, and poetry workshops and conversations.
Selected Previous Lecture Titles:
The Black Experience in Education: Understanding the role of historical, intergenerational trauma and its impact on African American education.
#BlackBrothersMatter: Equity in recruitment, retention, and re-engagement for fraternal organizations.
Black, Gay, and Greek: The history and issues of gays in Black Greek Lettered Organizations
Seven Ways to Accept Your Brother: A guideline for healing and reconciliation between gay and straight members of fraternities
Hazing 101: What Every Parent Needs to Know
Developing Sisterhood/Brotherhood in the Modern World: A guide for small sororities and fraternities
All speaking topics can be developed into one-on-one coaching sessions or long-term consultations.
North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault
California State University, Los Angeles
Alpha Phi Omega National Convention and Section Conferences
Gamma Xi Phi National Convention
Lambda Psi Delta Sorority National Conference
National Multicultural Greek Council Namaste Fall Conference
Atlanta Black Pride
DC Black Pride
OutWrite at the DC Center
Metropolitan DC Chapter of the Links, Inc.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Sigma Zeta Omega Chapter (Newark, DE)
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Pearls by the Bay Interest Group (Baltimore County, MD)
Chi Phi Fraternity, Phi Theta Lambda Chapter (Lewisburg, PA)
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Federal City Alumnae Chapter (Washington, DC)
Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Alpha Theta Chapter (Mahwah, NJ)
Calvin Coolidge Senior High School (DC)
Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy (Atlanta, GA)
Duke Ellington School of the Arts (DC)